There are countless ways for you to hear your best this holiday and endless events to practice at. When you find out what works best for you, you’re giving yourself the greatest gift of all: connection. Check out our six tips and tricks below to get started.
AROUND THE TABLE
Food is a big part of the holidays — we want to help you get your fill of both the festivities and your friends and family with these better-hearing tips for the table.
1. SPEAK UP: If you feel comfortable, a gentle reminder prior to a conversation to slow down, speak up, and talk in your specific direction will go a long way — for you and for those in the conversation.
2. FIND A FRIEND: Sit near a relative you’d like to talk to and who won’t mind repeating comments for you. Also, sit at a place at the table where there is less noise to interrupt your conversation.
3. STRATEGIC SEATING: If you can, avoid spots next to the kitchen or underneath a speaker. Even better, request a spot away from noise and in the light. A table in light offers you the advantage of being able to better read lips and see expressions.
IT’S PARTY TIME
Parties are another fun part of the holiday season, whether you’re celebrating with your co-workers, your family, or your friends. Put your best foot forward with these communication ideas.
1. TURN DOWN THE BACKGROUND NOISE :As you know, background noise can be very distracting. The host’s job is to help you enjoy yourself, so if you feel comfortable, ask them to turn down the music or television. We’re sure everyone will appreciate not having to yell!
2. THE FEWER, THE MERRIER: Situating yourself around fewer people can help you focus more on what they’re saying — as well as boost your hearing confidence.
3. DIRECT THE ACTION: Just like at the table, if you feel comfortable, remind those around you that it can be hard to hear in noise (not just for you, but everyone!). Asking to move to a quieter location is a reasonable request. Or try helping them help you: How could they speak differently to help you hear better?
Whether your festive focus includes religious services or a full social calendar (or both!), we want to help keep your spirits merry and bright by recommending a clean and check of your current devices. This is our busiest time of year, so we encourage you to contact us today to schedule your appointment!